Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 43: Hopefully, the nadir - Monday December 20, 2010

I am writing this note while I am still fuming inside. I spent all day to get one piece of paper from the Panama police that I own my car and didn’t steal it!

Here is how it worked: The police inspection station is open only from 10-11, weekdays. Since I have to drop the car off in Colon tomorrow or else wait another week to ship, I was there by 9. By 10:15, I called Gene Ward because if anyone can calm me down, it would be someone who is worse with b.s. Authority. At 10:30, with an office full of people, only one person came out to confirm that the “paperwork” matched the car’s VIN and some other hocus-pocus. At first sight, with my CA plates, passport, and title, it was clear that the car was not stolen! Though the inspection was OK, all the inspectees had to come back after 2 across the street to get the permit for the cars to leave Panama. Promptly at 2, I was at the “secretary”. She again went through all my paperwork and asked for original documents. Alas, the guy across the street had not brought the original inspection papers over – and rules are rules. He finally showed up at 3:40, just in time before the police station closes– (sure felt like an FU to the citizens & “despite all my rage, I was still a rat in a cage)] – but not in time to make the 4:00PM closing at the shipping agency. Thank you Panama for a wonderful 4 hours that dominated what would otherwise have been a lovely vacation day! This time wasting just because “control” has been one of my living nightmares. The other sufferers just kept saying that this is just the way it is in Panama. Panama: Try to compete with the rest of the world with that! The Gringos here say that the Panamanians generally have low self-esteem. What a surprise!

The travel arranger for the boat charter was geared to the jet set. I had a nice Panamanian lunch with the taxi driver that I hired to drive the Cayenne to all the stops. He still went to the wrong stations and had to reroute because they had similar names. Carol was spared having to navigate. We plan to drive to the shipping agency for further instructions tomorrow – no one stop service even at the private sector; then on to Colon where we will firm up arrangements for San Blas and Cartagena.

We had a lovely dinner sitting outside in the soft night air. We heard someone singing Silent Night very softly. 2 Mormon missionaries with their dark ties and white shirts. We had a nice visit since they were missing home.



No comments:

Post a Comment