Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 44: Casca Vieja to Colon & Port Cristobal - Tuesday December 21, 2010

Adios to Las Clementina’s. The manager tried to give directions for the 2K distance to the CA-1, a lot by landmarks and feel. Then: “OK, I will get my car and just follow me!” The directions for the harbor at Colon were particularly challenging: “At 4 Altos, take the right spur”. I didn’t know that 4 Altos was the name of the hospital at the turn. People got us back on track real fast.

For once, the governmental permission (from Customs) was prompt but still took 15-20 minutes to process. The process was more complicated, at the dock where I would load the car (including golf clubs, warm weather gear …) into a cargo container. We were held up for 2 ½ hours because of a $$ dispute. I am the paying customer – it wasn’t my fight! We parked in air-conditioned comfort next to and directly looking into the central chicken bus station. We watched the circulation of the routes and riders. Though not my first choice for vacation time, it was an extremely interesting slice of life. My “container stuffing” appointment at the Harbor is at 9AM tomorrow.

Luckily, the evening has been lovely. The kitchen at this hotel is gifted. It is graduation day at Colon’s junior high schools. It was fun reminiscing about our graduations as we dined next to a class of about 20 teenage girls all dressed up in their white dresses, having fun, looked so sweet. We also enjoyed watching a large family dinner thrown by the patriarchs to distribute their Christmas gifts. As I write, 2 classes are holding their after dinner parties directly below us. This place is alive!



No comments:

Post a Comment